As a parent you will have to make difficult decisions about your children whilst you go through a separation and beyond.

Often it is difficult to agree on the best way forward with your partner. We are sensitive to these issues, and have many years of experience in helping parents to resolve these disputes in the best possible interests of both parent and child.

Often the biggest issues facing parents who separate is the care of the child disputes. If you and your partner cannot agree which of you your children should live with, or how often each of you should see the children, or how parental responsibility should be exercised, then either parent may apply to the court for a decision.

Sometimes one parent wants to take the children abroad to live. The consent of the other parent is needed to do this. If this becomes an issue, the parents may need help from the courts. Sometimes there is good reason to fear that your child may be taken from you permanently to live elsewhere in Australia or abroad. If this is an issue we can apply to the court for an injunction to prevent this.

If you and your partner cannot agree about financial or other arrangements that affect your children, either of you can apply to the court to decide any issue about the children’s care and wellbeing. For example, you may disagree about which school your child should go to, or whether your child should have a particular course of medical treatment.